Saturday, July 7, 2007

July 7- Theatre v Art v Craft

Posted by R. Winsome.

Faith Levine, the queen of DIY art kicked us out of Art v Craft within 10 feet of the door. She will be getting a nasty letter from Pozzo. They wouldn't even let us work on the sidewalk outside the building. We bitched enough for the security guard to go and give us our money back, and one of the guys at the door came to see Made in the Mouth that night, so at least SOME people were cool.

We scurried off to the east side for our old reliable Brady Street and then hit up north ave. Ian was Pozzo and I (that is, Rex) was Lucky. Matt Richardson was the Third. Ian's first shot at Pozzo and he did a good job, worked more Pozzo lines into the bit than i usually do, and also had a better response to "why is he tied up?" questions. I typically say, "Lucky is an artist, he's dangerous, he must be restrained." Ian said "he does it of his free will" and then went into a bit of the "he wants to mollify me so i give up the idea of parting with him" bit.

Highlights of Lucky's performances:

I'm a little teapot on the crate on a manhole in the middle of brady street.
do 10 jumping jacks and 10 pushups on the manhole in the middle of brady street (in the middle of a sunny afternoon manhole covers get very very hot, so I started doing those clapping pushups, which impressed the guy even more)
a breakdancing harmonica
a dinosaur stepping on a landmine
hang yourself

2 comments:

Ben Turk said...

the details on "hang yourself"

So, we've got this request in the past. Timmy was once told to 'hang his ass', so he tied the rope around his waist and i held him off the ground by it. I've hung myself by just pulling the rope tight up over the top of my head and acting like i was choking. I've also searched for something to hang myself off of and not found anything. This time, we were in front of The Oriental, and when i looked around for something to hang myself off of the first thing my eyes fell upon was a stoplight, which is a perfect thing for slinging a rope over. After a couple hours of walking around in a three peice suit in the hot summer heat and doing whatever anyone asks the blank expression Lucky wears begins to, well, kinda affect one's thought process. I unthinkingly set the crate under the stoplight, tossed one end of the rope over, adjusted the noose so the knot was behind my head, held tight to the loose end and kicked the crate out from under me. When my neck didn't break, i started wondering just how long i should keep hanging there. After about 4 or 5 seconds, i let go the end of the rope and fell to the ground. i tried untying the knot immediately, cuz i couldn't breathe when i was up there, but then i realized that without my weight on the rope it was just loose enough for me to get some shallow air flow. So a played dead. The poor young emo girl who had asked "will he hang himself?" when she saw the noose around my neck felt totally guilty when i actually did it, and came over and gave my limp body a hug. then i got up, loosened the knot and did a quick survey of my well-being. I felt generally okay, could breathe freely and talk, but my larynx was kinda crushed and out of place and it hurt, especially when i swallowed. It's still pretty sore now, two days later, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Looking back on the experience i feel like this is the perfect summary of my life right now. Willing to hang myself for the littlest scrap of theatre.

Anonymous said...

god, rex, be careful. if you die from a stupid request, your fight will die, as well.